All troops should expect every adult to take on some kind of leadership role. One that’s often overlooked is Merit Badge Counselor (MBC). Merit Badge Counselor can be designated as troop only or open to the council use. Adult Cub Scout leaders are also qualified to be Merit Badge Counselors. This is a good way to start the bridging process to a troop.
• Must have or completed an adult application process (YPT and background check)
• Must keep Youth Protection Training current
• Online or live Merit Badge Counselor Training
• Have proficient skills, experients, training, and/or knowledge of the Merit Badges
⚠️ Important: It is recommended to focus on 3 to 8 Merit Badges. However, there is no limit set if you are qualified.
As a Merit Badge Counselor:
• Follow the requirements of the merit badge, making no deletions or additions.
• Scout should use the buddy system. MBC keeps “two-deep” leadership during all instructional sessions. This includes Email (CC), Online meetings, Phone calls, and texting.
• Keep your Youth Protection Training current.
• Renew membership registration annually if I plan to continue as a Merit Badge Counselor.
⚜️ Note: Merit Badge Counselors can continue after their no longer with a unit. Merit Badge Counselors must be registered with Scouts BSA with the district/council.
🌐 Scouts BSA Guide for Merit Badge Counselors: https://www.scouting.org/programs/scouts-bsa/mb-counselor-guide/
📄 Merit Badge Counselor Information Form: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34405.pdf
🎬 The Blue Card Process or Merit Badges Mania?: https://youtu.be/h_iQSfcdj00