Thair is an actual complaint form for parents. That national has a 100% guaranty on. More info later, let’s jump into this. We are talking about disagreements and not actual safety or YPT issues.
Parents get mad or upset for many reasons.
• Personality or cultural differences
• A preserved unfairness
• Confronted with something that they don’t want
• It’s just your turn…
Self-resolving conflict – this is a solution that is handled by the upset person over time.
Cooperative Resolutions – First off, everyone in scouting and families of the scouts is bound by the scout oath and law. These are the ground rules which we live by. This is a foundation of trust and familiarity.
• The most important skill as a leader is “Active Listening”. (Courteous)
• A conscious effort to listen must be made to learn all the facts of an issue.
• Filter out fealing statements or derogatory assumptions as these are the emotions and not the issue.
• Don’t shut down or walk away. (Not Friendly, & Kind)
• Determine if they want a response from you. They will ask when they’re ready, but they may not be ready to hear what you say.
• Restating the issue may be needed to start a solution with understanding.
• The most important question is “What do you want?”
• The answer to this question is the solution to the conflict.
The Wood Badge “Managing Conflict” training is a good resource for leaders to handle conflicts. You should go to Wood Badge!
The complaint form with the 100% warranty is… The Adult Application! “Thiers no problem, if you’re part of the solution.”
🌐 Wood Badge Website: https://www.scouting.org/training/adult/woodbadge/
📄 Scouting Magazine on Wood Badge: https://scoutingmagazine.org/2014/02/wood-badge/
🎬 What is Wood Badge? (Compilation of videos.) https://youtu.be/q-iJSQ-tQTI
⚠️ For additional information about Wood Badge, please contact your local council service center.